18 June 2006

Running scared at the running of the bulls

Thousands of revelers, attired in white shirts and pants and clutching red handkerchiefs, gather in front of Pamplona's town hall to celebrate the start of the Festival of San Fermin in Spain.

However, they were Running scared at the running of the bulls. According to an attendant "The bulls were galloping toward us. In an instant, I was swept up in the chaos, people running to stay ahead of the bulls, to avoid the horns that were getting closer. I turned and ran, too, as fast as my feet could carry me. I ran past the doorways of the small shops that lined the street, past the crowds that had come to watch, past the barricades that had been put up along the route. There was nowhere to escape, nowhere to go except straight ahead, with everyone else. All I wanted to do was survive".

No comments: